So you’ve got a day or two in Lima before heading to Cusco for your Machu Picchu tour, and you’re wondering what to do in Miraflores, Lima? There’s tons to see and do just walking around the neighborhood from gorgeous parks to a modern mall to souvenir shops to gourmet restaurant hopping. On one of your walks, make sure you stop by the Miraflores Boardwalk, one of the most popular tourist sites in the area characterized by its quaint paths along the cliffs facing the Costa Verde (green coast).
Spanning a good chunk of the Lima portion of the Pacific Ocean, you’ll have amazing views no matter which part of the boardwalk you find yourself on. And it’s not just views of the ocean. The entire Miraflores Boardwalk (actually consisting of 4 interconnected boardwalks, each with their own name and identity) abounds with green spaces, flowerbeds, sports complexes, outdoor exercise spots, monuments, and benches to relax and take in the environment.
The scenic and safe route is well maintained, making it the perfect getaway from the busy-ness of city life. Take advantage of the bike paths if you’re interested in renting bikes at the Larcomar mall and seeing more of the boardwalk. Or in Lima’s summertime, you can relax and have a picnic on the grass while watching the paragliders fly by.
A recommended quick mini self-tour of the Miraflores Boardwalk could include the following (click here for the full walking route):
- Shopping at the Larcomar seaside mall
- Start walking northwest along the boardwalk (the entire route described takes only around 10 minutes)
- Stop by for crepes with a view of the Pacific Ocean
- Photo stop at Intihuatana Park – the statue here represents a ritual stone associated with the astronomic clock of the Incas, the most notable of which is found at Machu Picchu
- Photo stop at the Love Park (Parque de Amor) where the famous sculpture, The Kiss (El Beso), is found
And don’t forget that there’s more to see if you head south and explore the portion of the boardwalk in Barranco, Lima – one of the world’s most hipster neighborhoods!