Lima only has one single airport – the Jorge Chavez International Airport (in Spanish: Aeropuerto Internacional Jorge Chávez) – boasting the super-easy-to-remember airport code, LIM. This airport is the main international and national airport in the country of Peru. It’s named after the famous Peruvian aviator and national aviation hero, Jorge Chavez, who was also known around the world in his day for competing in several aviation competitions throughout Europe.
How far is Machu Picchu from the Lima Airport? All international airports will first arrive at the Lima airport, and then you’ll take a domestic flight from Lima to the city of Cusco, Peru. From Cusco, the typical tour to Machu Picchu involves vehicle transport, a train ride, and then a short bus ride up to the archeological site – see How to Travel to Machu Picchu.
Contrary to popular belief, Jorge Chavez International Airport is not actually situated in Lima even though it’s associated with Lima, the capital city of Peru. The airport is located in the city of Callao to the north of Lima, so we always recommend making sure you have some kind of Lima Airport transfer:
- Lima Airport to Historic Center of Lima = 10 km or 35 minutes away by taxi/Uber
- Lima Airport to Miraflores = around 20 km or 40 minutes away by taxi/Uber – see How to Get from Lima Airport to Miraflores
- Lima Airport to Barranco = 25 km or 45 minutes away by taxi/Uber – see How to Get from Lima Airport to Barranco
The airport was inaugurated in 1960 and has grown into the main flight hub in South America, serving over 20 million passengers per year. It’s also the center of operations for the airlines, LATAM and Sky Airline. Considering how busy the airport is, there are plans for the inauguration of a new terminal in 2025.
As of the publishing date of this blog post, direct flights from Lima with the most passengers include:
- Santiago, Chile
- Madrid, Spain
- Miami, Florida, United States
- Bogotá, Colombia
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Panama City, Panama
- Cancún, Mexico
Services at the Jorge Chavez International Airport include:
- Unlimited Free WiFi Internet throughout the entire airport – see Does Lima Airport Have WiFi?
- ATMs and currency exchange shops – see Lima Airport Currency Exchange
- Duty free shopping
- Luggage storage