In short, if you’re interested in Inca history and/or ancient architecture, yes – it’s definitely worth visiting! The town of Ollantaytambo is on the way to Machu Picchu and seemed to have served an important role during the Inca Empire.
Any Sacred Valley of the Incas Tour will include a visit to and guided tour of the Ollantaytambo Archeological Complex located in the town of Ollantaytambo. The complex served various functions during the Inca Empire from a residence and ceremonial center to a military station and fortress for important Inca figures. Its massive stone structures tell a rich history dating back from the Inca Emperor Pachacutec’s time in the 1400s all the way through to the arrival of the Spanish conquistadores.
What to Do in Ollantaytambo
- See the Templo del Sol (Sun Temple): Of all the structures in the Ollantaytambo Archeological Complex, what stands out and amazes the most is the Sun Temple. Although mostly destroyed, there still stands a wall of 6 enormous monoliths, each weighing as much as 67 tons.
- Shop for handicrafts and souvenirs at the Ollantaytambo market: You can plan a short shopping trip back to back with your tour of the Ollantaytambo Inca ruins as the market is located at the entrance of the archeological site.
- Take the train to Machu Picchu: The majority of tours to Machu Picchu will include a stopover at Ollantaytambo. There’s a major train station here and the Ollantaytambo plaza is also picture-worthy.
Options to Visit Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley
- Sacred Valley-Machu Picchu Tour – As one of our most popular tours, you’d visit Ollantaytambo among other archeological sites on the first day and then Machu Picchu on the second day.
- Sacred Valley 1-Day Tour: Classic – This full-day Sacred Valley tour is the equivalent of the first day of the previously mentioned Sacred Valley-Machu Picchu tour.
- Sacred Valley 1-Day Tour: Plus – The difference between the “Classic” and “Plus” versions of the Sacred Valley 1-Day Tour is that the “Plus” version includes the Pisac archeological complex and Pisac market known for its handicrafts. Pisac and Ollantaytambo are the main archeological complexes in the Sacred Valley.
Still on the fence? Maybe this virtual Ollantaytambo tour of its Inca ruins will convince you – check out the video below: