Miraflores is a tourist district in Lima, Peru filled with beautiful parks, museums, a modern seaside mall, souvenir shops, pre-hispanic ruins, the best hotels in Lima, and an extensive boardwalk with picturesque views of the Costa Verde (Green Coast). This boardwalk is one of the most photographed landmarks in Lima by nacional and international tourists. And it’s safe to walk around the entirety of the neighborhood of Miraflores, even with your cell phone out to take photos (which we can’t say about other neighborhoods in Lima). Click here to learn how to get from the Lima airport to Miraflores.
Right in the center of Miraflores in Lima, Peru is a noteworthy and popular park called Parque Central de Miraflores (Miraflores Central Park), comprised of:
- Parque John F. Kennedy (John F. Kennedy Park) in honor of the former president of the United States)
- Parque 7 de Junio (June 7th Park) in homage to the Peruvian soldiers who fought against Chile in the Battle of Arica on June 7th, 1880
Many people refer to Miraflores Central Park simply as Parque Kennedy in Lima or Parque Kennedy in Miraflores, Peru as it’s the larger of the 2 parks.
What’s worth seeing in and around Miraflores Central Park or Parque Kennedy?
- The park is home to tons of cats who are found in the gardens and along the pathways looking for food and love from visitors. Apparently, there used to be tons of rats in the area in the 90s, so people started leaving their cats there to resolve the issue, and these cats have now become a part of the park. They’re well taken care of by a group of volunteers and can also be taken home to be adopted.
- There are often day or night fairs showcasing traditional Peruvian food, drinks, and crafts.
- Even if you don’t catch one of the fairs, there are all sorts of restaurants all around the edges of the park, serving both local food and international food you may be familiar with (including Starbucks, McDonalds, and Pinkberry).
- Within walking distance is the Larcomar clifftop mall and boardwalk with ocean views.